Greyhounds Australasia (GA) is responsible for developing and driving a national approach to greyhound welfare.
GRNSW understands that the welfare of greyhounds is an issue that affects all states and territories. As a result, GRNSW has been a supporter of welfare initiatives launched by GA.
GA recently reconfirmed its ongoing commitment to improving the welfare of greyhounds and reducing the incidence of euthanasia by building on the significant advancements already made by its members. These include:
• The introduction of mandatory micro-chipping that improves industry wide integrity and facilitates more accurate tracking of individual greyhounds throughout their lifecycle;
• The strengthening of Greyhound Racing Rules to ensure owners are required to notify their controlling body when a greyhound has been retired from racing;
• The establishment of a dedicated GA Animal Welfare Committee which is tasked with the development, implementation and monitoring of national welfare initiatives and setting of industry benchmarks;
• The introduction of export guidelines that ensures Australasian greyhounds can only be exported to countries that have a standard of care and accountability comparable to Australia;
• Reducing injury risks for racing greyhounds by prioritising capital works at racetracks;
• Increasing the number of kennel inspections and penalising participants for non-compliance; and
• The development in each state of a dedicated and industry resourced re-homing program for greyhounds that are no longer suited to racing.
GA and its members are now working together to build on these initiatives to ensure the welfare of greyhounds meets best practice and to further reduce the incidence of euthanasia. All members are committed to:
• Reducing the number of greyhounds that are bred through the expansion of responsible breeding strategies and education initiatives;
• Improved tracking mechanisms and data collection throughout the life of a greyhound, enabling the monitoring of both participants and greyhounds;
• Continued development of mandatory education and licensing across the racing sector;
• Mandatory education competencies linked to licensing for greyhound breeders, including hobby and commercial operations;
• Licensing of participants involved in the rearing, educating and pre-training of greyhounds;
• A consistent approach to the provision of veterinary services and injury reporting at race meetings to assist in development of minimum standards for track preparation and the monitoring of injury trends; and
• Increased investment in greyhound adoption or re-homing programs and the promotion of the breed outside of racing.
For more on GA and its welfare initiatives, visit its website at http://www.galtd.org.au/GreyhoundsAustralasia/
Membership is free and will allow you to stay up to date with all the latest information about greyhound racing as well as access to most areas of the website
Sign up now »
Sign up for free SMS alerts from GRNSW and you will start receiving alerts for things such as nomination extensions and meeting abandonments at your local tracks.
Click below to register your details.
More Info »
Greyhounds As Pets (GAP) is an initiative of Greyhound Racing NSW and is dedicated to finding homes for greyhounds. Greyhounds can make fantastic pets – they are quiet, lazy and gentle dogs that thrive in the family home environment.